Last summer’s ECCO FEI European Championships in horse jumping, dressage and para-dressage is another good showcase example of Denmark’s and Herning’s competent abilities to bid for and host sport events. Denmark is a small country and Herning is not a major cosmopolitan capital but despite these facts they are still subjects to ongoing positive storytelling about sport event bidding and hosting.
The tourist organization Visit Denmark just published some analytical results, which displayed what Herning, Denmark and the sport behind the event gained from hosting the event.
These numbers include:
- 75,000 visitors
- Event-generated tourism turnover of DKK133 mio. (foreign visitors generated DKK 87 mio.).
- The total event experience was good, e.g. 90% of the visitors said that the event lived up to their expectations to a ‘large degree’ or ‘very large degree’.
- Tax-generated revenues in Herning of DKK29 mio.
- There was a successful conversion of the football pitch at MCH Arena in Herning into an international arena to fit the event.
- 25 hours of direct TV transmitted via the national Danish broadcasting company DR.
- 70 mio. international television viewers.